Due to the impending weather event for tomorrow, March 13th, Meade County offices will be closed.
February 28, 2019
Employment Opportunity: Job # 19-02
Posting Type: Open Announcement
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Starting Wage: $19.91 per hour
Full-Time Position: 40 Hours per week / Full Benefit Package
Application Procedures: Please submit a Meade County application to: Human Resources / 1300 Sherman Street STE 212 / Sturgis, SD 57785
General Statement of Duties
Under the general supervision of the Sheriff, Chief Deputy, and Night Supervisor, is responsible for performing general law enforcement functions related to law and order and to serve the legal process of the courts.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Patrol assigned areas to enforce laws, issue citations, make arrests, investigate violations, and prevent criminal activity.
2. Serve civil and criminal warrants, subpoenas, summons, and other processes.
3. Transport prisoners to courtrooms, prison, medical facility and other locations as needed.
4. Investigate illegal and/or suspicious activities and persons. Arrest violators, sign complaints, prevent disturbances.
5. Locate and place persons under arrest. Transport persons on arrest warrants into custody.
6. Investigate domestic violence and other disturbances.
7. Assist with traffic control as deemed necessary.
8. Assist with weather observation, fire and ambulance calls and any other communication activities.
9. Testify in court.
10. Maintain courtroom security.
11. Carry out orders and enforce directions from State and Federal Court System.
12. Maintain records and complete required reports as deemed necessary.
13. Assist in vehicle maintenance.
14. Assist any calls assigned by dispatch.
15. Attend training sessions and meetings as required.
16. Wear Personal Protective Equipment as deemed necessary.
17. Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices.
18. Perform other such duties and functions as deemed necessary.
Experience and Education:
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certification. One (1) year experience with State and Federal mandates or an equivalent of experience and education may be acceptable.
2. Ability to obtain Certification by the South Dakota Law Enforcement Officers Training Academy with in 12 months of hire date.
3. Must be 21 years of age or older.
The County Commission recently adopted a new snow removal policy for county maintained roads:
The purpose of this policy is to formalize and establish Meade County's level of service with respect to the removal of snow or ice, as well as the placement of sand, salt or other abrasive material on its County Highway Road System.
Due to increased development generating additional demands on the county road system, MEADE Moving Forward 2040 Transportation Plan identifies a need for an additional east/west connection between Erickson Ranch Road and 143rd Avenue. The Southern Meade County Corridor study will aid in identifying a conceptual alignment to enable Meade County to plan for the potential development in the area and secure the corridor's right-of-way.