Lisa Schieffer, Auditor/Election Officer

Auditor since 1999, term expires March 2022

1300 Sherman Street, Suite 126, Sturgis, SD 57785


Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mon. - Fri.

Name *

The auditor is the keeper of county records and acts as a bookkeeper for county business. Records may include documents, books or minutes from county commission meetings.

It is the auditor's responsibility to prepare the county budget, audit bills or other claims against the county and prepare the warrants in payment of these bills. This responsibility is not a light one, for the auditor must be certain that all payments are accurate, and that all services for payment have actually been provided to the county office named.

A main aspect of the auditor's function is to maintain each county office budget, and to ensure that each office expenditure is provided for in the county budget.

South Dakota law requires that prior to spending any county money on a given project, the county must have budgeted for it, and must have the necessary funds to pay for that project. This means that no office can spend money, without budget authority and sufficient dollars to pay for the project.

The primary source of county revenue is through property taxes. However, only about 27% of all property taxes go to fund county government, while the remaining 73% are used to fund schools and other local entities. It is the auditor's responsibility to figure real estate and mobile home taxes. It should be noted that the auditor does not appraise property value, but rather figures the property appraisal into a tax levy, which is forwarded to the county treasurer for collection.

Part of the county responsibility is to provide for the needy. In this aspect, many county auditors are generally given the task for handling indigent health care. Or rather, administering payment for medical services provided to people unable to pay for their treatment.


Annual Budgets

Annual Reports

Audit Reports

Growth Reports

Levy Reports

Max Tax Payable Reports