Floodplain information

Flood Insurance.png

If you are building or working in a floodplain or suspect that you will be working in a floodplain, Meade County requires that you FIRST obtain a Floodplain Development Permit from the County at the Equalization & Planning Department.

Floodplain maps are available for your review at our office or the Sturgis and Piedmont Public Libraries.

Floodplain Information Directory:

Everyone in the floodplain should have Flood Insurance, and even if you are near the floodplain, flood insurance is recommended. If you are out of the designated floodplain, you can purchase flood insurance at a REDUCED RATE. Floods can occur outside of a designated floodplain so it is a good idea to carry Flood Insurance and it is affordable at the reduced rate. Call your insurance agent for rate for your property. For flood insurance FEMA has a lot of information you can read – FEMA Flood Insurance Information.For more information on Flood Insurance just follow this link; I want more information.For additional Information, please contact our office at (605) 347-3818.You can also call FEMA Region #6 at (303) 235-4800.You can follow FEMA on Twitter:@femaregion8

For additional information on Flood Insurance and Flood Insurance Coverage Information please visit


stormwater information

Stormwater - runoff occurs when precipitation from rain or snowmelt flows over the ground. Impervious surfaces like driveways, sidewalks, and streets prevent stormwater runoff from naturally soaking into the ground. Stormwater can pick up debris, chemicals, dirt, and other pollutants and flow into a storm sewer system or directly to a lake, stream, river, wetland, or coastal water. This storm water is often discharged untreated into the waterbodies we use for swimming, fishing and drinking water. For example, erosion at a construction site can cause sediment to enter surface waters. Do not empty waste oil or containers containing paint, chemicals or soaps into diches because ditches usually drain to some type of surface water streams, ponds or lakes.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources (SDDENR) are charged with regulating stormwater pursuant to the Clean Water Act (CWA).

What is the NPDES Stormwater Program?

Stormwater Drain.png

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Storm Water Program regulates stormwater discharges from three potential sources: municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s), construction activities, and industrial activities. Most stormwater discharges are considered point sources, and operators of these sources may be required to receive an NPDES permit before they can discharge. This permitting mechanism is designed to prevent stormwater runoff from washing harmful pollutants into local surface waters such as streams, rivers, lakes or coastal waters.

South Dakota does implement the NPDES Storm Water Program and administer their own stormwater permitting programs.

The State of South Dakota requires an NPDES Permit

If you or your contractor has a construction activity that disturbs one or more acres of land either by clearing, grading, excavation, road building; constructing a residential, commercial or industrial building; installing any kind of pipeline, phone or cable lines or are demolishing buildings etc. that disturb an acre or more, you need a general permit for storm water discharges for construction activities from the South Dakota Department of Environment & Natural Resources (SDDENR).

You will need to complete an application called a NOI or Notice of Intent which can be found on the SDDENR Storm Water web page.

Please be aware that if you do need a general permit, the permittee(s) are required to develop a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan, which details the best management practices you will need to implement to ensure that storm water runoff leaving your site will not impact surface water or Waters of the State.

If you have questions you can contact the SDDENR Storm Water Permitting Office at 1-800-737-8676.

Also see PDF’s below: