CONTROL ROOM OPERATOR
Employment Opportunity: Job # 19-06
Posting Type: Open Announcement
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Starting Wage: $14.87 per hour
Part-Time Position: 24 Hours per week
Application Procedures: Please submit a Meade County application (https://www.meadecounty.org/employment-application to: Human Resources / 1300 Sherman Street STE 212 / Sturgis, SD 57785
General Statement of Duties
Under the general supervision of the Sheriff, Chief Deputy, and the jail administrator, the direct supervision of the shift supervisor, is responsible for operating the control console to monitor and control various functions of Meade County’s correctional operations and to provide guidance and direction to personnel.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Observe monitor screens that transmit in sequence views of the correctional operations.
2. Operate control board to stop and maintain order of a location where an incident is developing.
3. Request appropriate personnel for assistance of any disruptive activity.
4. Watch Correctional Officers to ensure safety and maintain peace while they are working with inmates.
5. Open secured doors to authorized personnel and public to enter and/or exit correctional facilities when necessary.
6. Be aware if equipment fails and notify supervisor of equipment malfunctions.
7. Log and enter daily events into computer.
8. Monitor intercom system
9. Answer phones
10. Prepare reports.
11. Attend training, seminars and workshops as deemed necessary.
12. Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices and policies.
13. Perform other such duties and functions as deemed necessary.
Experience and Education:
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certification.
Minimum one (1) year secretarial experience preferred.
Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment to include typewriter, copy machine, fax machine, computer, etc.
Knowledge with law enforcement a plus.
Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Ability to demonstrate good communication skills, written and oral.
Ability to maintain a professional relationship with the general public and other employees.
Ability to demonstrate good organizational skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
The employee occasionally is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is frequently required to sit.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Ability to function effectively under stress.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Examination, Testing, and Certification:
The Examination, Testing and Certification described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Successful competition in written and/or oral interviews.
2. Other such examination as deemed appropriate and necessary by the Sheriff and/or County.