HIGHWAY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
SERVICE AREA: ELM SPRINGS, SD
Employment Opportunity: Job # 18-6 / Equipment Operator
Posting Type: Open Announcement
Closing Date: June 1, 2018 (or until filled)
Starting Wage: $16.96 per Hour/ Full-Time with Full Benefits
Application Procedures: Please submit Application / Resume to:
★Human Resources / 1300 Sherman Street Suite ▫ 212 ▫ Sturgis, SD 57785
General Statement of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the Highway Superintendent and general supervision of the Assistant Highway Superintendent, is responsible for skilled construction, maintenance and repair work on County roads, related facilities and equipment. Operate any type of equipment over 26,000 lbs.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate and perform minor repairs to a variety of vehicles including but not limited to - trucks, dozers, pay-loaders, scrapers, motor graders, tractors, and trailers all used in the repair of County roads and bridges.
- Participate with work crews in all aspects of highway maintenance to include asphalt repair, patching, sealing, overlay, crack filling, roller and oiler.
- Coordinate operation and maintain section gravel roads to include blading and pulling shoulders, and maintaining ditches and roadways by cutting edges and mowing.
- Repair County roads and bridges to include loading and unloading materials, fencing, crack filling and picking up litter as needed.
- Remove snow during inclement weather.
- Assist in loading and hauling of dirt, gravel, snow and other materials.
- Mow grass in County roadway ditches as needed.
- Clean and/or assist in draining ditches.
- Maintain records of work performed.
- Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices.
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment when required.
- Attend meetings and seminars as assigned.
- Perform other such duties and functions as deemed necessary.
Experience and Education:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. certification.
- One (1) year of experience in operating trucks, heavy/light equipment and tools associated with construction.
- Currently possess or ability to obtain a valid South Dakota Class A Commercial Drivers License with air brake and tanker endorsements.
- Broad knowledge of procedures, techniques, and standards applicable to highway and roadway maintenance and construction.
- Proficiency in the use of a wide variety of shop tools.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Ability to work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- Ability to work well with others and get along with the general public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to stand.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Examination, Testing, and Certification:
The Examination, Testing and Certification described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Valid South Dakota Class A Commercial Drivers License with air brake and tanker endorsements.
- Successful competition in written and/or oral interviews.
- Other such examination as deemed appropriate and necessary by the County.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.