Employment Opportunity: Job # 17-05 Seasonal Technology Assistant
Posting Type: Open Announcement
Closing Date: Open until Filled
Starting Wage: $12.75 - $12.75
Application Procedures: Please submit a Meade County application to:
★Human Resources/ 1300 Sherman Street Suite ▫ 212 ▫ Sturgis, SD 57785
Reports To: Highway Superintendent
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
General Statement of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the Highway Superintendent and the general supervision of the Assistant Highway Superintendent, is responsible for assisting with the Highway Department’s technological efforts. Specifically, is responsible for technical work in the maintenance of the Department’s GIS system, as well as assisting with financial, inventory, and spatial data maintenance and reporting.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with maintenance, updating, and reporting on various records of the highway system.
- Create relevant reports and spreadsheets for the Highway Department
- Coordinate historical, current, and new GIS projects under the purview of the Department, to include the County Road Master Plan, bridges and culverts, and any other required projects as they arise.
- Create, update, review, and maintain all GIS database layers for the Department; collect data from a variety of sources.
- Produce presentation-grade maps and exhibits for public and private meetings of the Department, balancing informational an aesthetic requirements for the product.
- Coordinate with public and private agencies on dissemination of accurate information.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive duties of the position. Incumbents shall follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required.
The minimum qualifications described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience and Education:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certification.
- Considerable knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software and Geographical Positioning Systems (GPS) hardware and software preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret legal descriptions.
- Proficiency in math, statistics, and information technology.
- Ability to demonstrate good communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with the general public and other employees.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to outside weather conditions.