SEASONAL HIGHWAY LABORER
Employment Opportunity: Job # 17-04 Seasonal Highway Laborer
Posting Type: Open Announcement
Closing Date: Open until Filled
Starting Wage: $12.75 - $12.75
Application Procedures: Online or submit a Meade County application to:
Human Resources/ 1300 Sherman Street Suite 212, Sturgis, SD 57785
Reports To: Highway Superintendent
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
General Statement of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the Highway Superintendent and general supervision of the Assistant Highway Superintendent, is responsible for performing a variety of tasks related to the maintenance and repair of the Meade County Highway System, to include roads, ditches, bridges and culverts.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate with work crews in all aspects of highway maintenance to include asphalt repair, patching, sealing, overlay, crack filling, roller and oiler.
- Repair County roads and bridges to include loading and unloading materials, fencing, crack filling and picking up litter as needed.
- Mow grass in County roadway ditches as needed.
- Clean and/or assist in draining ditches.
- Maintain records of work performed.
- Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices.
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment when required.
- Attend meetings and seminars as assigned.
- Perform other such duties and functions as deemed necessary.
Experience and Education:
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Ability to work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- Ability to work well with others and get along with the general public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to stand.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.