Employment Opportunity: Job # 17-03 Mechanic (Heavy Equipment)
Posting Type: Open Announcement
Closing Date: Until Filled
Starting Wage: $17.63 - $18.16 DOE
Application Procedures: Please submit a Meade County application to:
★ Human Resources/ 1300 Sherman Street Suite ▫ 212 ▫ Sturgis, SD 57785
General Statement of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the Highway Superintendent and general supervision of the Shop Foreman, is responsible for performing skilled and semi-skilled mechanical work in maintenance of all County equipment and vehicles.
Hours of Work
This position is a non-exempt position normally scheduled for 40 hours per week. Actual hours may vary. This position is subject to assisting other Meade County departments at the discretion of the Department Head.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform welding, fabricates and repairs to highway equipment.
- Repair and maintain all County equipment and vehicles in the shop, at satellite shops, and in the field.
- Use test diagnostic equipment to ensure equipment is in working order.
- Operate pay-loaders, trucks, scrapers, motor graders, and tractors as needed.
- Plan and coordinate on work schedule and time management.
- Maintain inventory and part records.
- Pick up and deliver parts, supplies and equipment as needed by the Highway Department and other authorized County personnel.
- Maintain shop in a neat and orderly manner.
- Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices.
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment when required.
- Attend meetings and seminars as assigned.
- Perform other such duties and functions as deemed necessary.
Experience and Education:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. certification.
- Vo-tech degree in Diesel Mechanics or related field.
- Two (2) years of mechanic experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be acceptable.
- Currently possess or ability to obtain a valid South Dakota Class A Commercial Drivers License and certification in air brakes.
- Knowledgeable experience with hydraulic systems, electrical systems, diesel and gas engines, transmissions and drive trains.
- Proficiency in welding and operation of machine shop equipment.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Ability to work well with others and get along with the general public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is frequently required to stand.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places, outside weather conditions, and vibrations.
Examination, Testing, and Certification:
The Examination, Testing and Certification described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Valid South Dakota Class A Commercial Drivers License
- Air Brake Certification.
- Successful competition in written and/or oral interviews.
- Other such examination as deemed appropriate and necessary by the County.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.