Temporary Highway Secretary
Employment Opportunity: Job # 18-4
Posting Type: Open Announcement
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Starting Wage: $14.65 per Hour/ Short-Term Employee
Application Procedures: Online or submit a Meade County application and Resume to:
Human Resources/ 1300 Sherman Street Suite 212, Sturgis, SD 57785
General Statement of Duties
Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to the public.
Hours of work
Non-exempt short term full-time (non-benefited) position at 40 hours per week for 3-4 months.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Use computers for various applications, such as database management or word processing.
- Answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Create, maintain, and enter information into databases.
- Set up and manage paper or electronic filing systems, recording information, updating paperwork, correspondence, or other material.
- Operate modern office equipment, such as computers, copiers, or phone systems.
- Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices and policies.
- Perform other such duties and functions as deemed necessary.
Experience and Education:
- High School Diploma, or G.E.D.
- Two years experience in the secretarial field or an equivalent of education and experience may be acceptable.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Demonstration of organizational skills.
- Ability to work well with others and get along with the general public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Examination, Testing, and Certification:
The Examination, Testing and Certification described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Successful competition in written and/or oral interviews.
- Other such examination as deemed appropriate and necessary by the County.